Well-Being While Beginning a New Semester at College
Healthy Heels | August 15, 2022
Classes! Organizations! Socialization! Research!
We know starting a semester on campus is full of things to do. Remember – you don’t have to do everything! Prioritize your health, mental health, and well-being at the top of your list. Some suggestions to put that into action:
- Schedule physical activity, healthy eating and stress reduction. If you schedule it into your day now, you’re less likely to skip it later. Bonus points for adding in social support – like by joining an intramural or club team, or scheduling fun fitness activities with friends. Use an app or planner to help!
- Find and explore spaces to help you stay healthy like Campus Rec, Dining Services, and Campus Health. You are welcome to visit these spaces and look around. Don’t be afraid to just explore the campus a bit this week while you’re reconnecting.
- Connect to a primary care provider and pharmacy in the area. You’ve already paid for services at Campus Health through tuition and fees, so you can come to see a provider there at no further cost to you. Visit one of the two on-campus pharmacies – Campus Health Pharmacy or Student Stores Pharmacy to transfer prescriptions and get over-the-counter items you need. Over-the-counter pharmacy items are also available in the Healthy Heels 2 Go vending machines in the Carolina Union and Rams Head Recreation.
- Mental health matters! The Heels Care Network website offers trainings and resources to help you help your friends and yourself – including a Peer Chat staffed by LSN.
- Seek professional help before things get awful – ideally as soon as you start to feel overwhelmed. Initial visits to Counseling and Psychological Services are available Monday – Thursday from 9-12, and 1-4, and Fridays from 9:30-12 and 1-4. These services have already been paid for in tuition and fees!
- Get involved in campus organizations that interest you. This is one easy way to find people with similar interests. Search for what fits you using Heel Life. Some of your soon-to-be lifelong friends are among the people in student orgs on campus.
- Find support academically. Yes, it’s challenging. Yes, you can do it. Yes, you have help. This handout on How to Succeed at Carolina can help you plan for the best possible start to your new year.
News Post originally published on https://healthyheels.org/2022/08/15/well-being-while-beginning-a-new-semester-at-college/