Mental Health Colloquium and Seminar Series
On September 14, from 12pm-3pm, the Heels Care Network held a Mental Health Colloquium and subsequently will be hosting a Mental Health Seminar Series. Information about these events are below.
An afternoon of expert talks and engaging breakout sessions built upon the discussion and suggestions from last semester's Mental Health Summit and kicked off our fall semester series of mental health seminars. This colloquium moved us from theory to practice, centering discussion on three topics:
- Practicing Cultural Awareness and Humility: presented by Leah Cox, Vice Provost for Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
- Trauma-Informed Engagement in the Community: presented by April Parker, Clinical Assistant Professor in the School of Social Work
- Mental Health and Identity: featured breakout sessions focused on Mental Health in Latinx Communities, Asian Communities, Black Communities, American Indian Communities and LGBTIQ Communities
Breakout Sessions included:
- Mental Health in Latinx Communities – Facilitated by Theresa Flores, MSW, LCSW
- Mental Health in Asian Communities – Facilitated by Misha Mohan, Psy.D.
- Mental Health in Black Communities – Facilitated by Sophia Davis, MSW, LCSW and Faye Hobgood, MSW, LCSW
- Mental Health in American Indian Communities – Facilitated by Alicia Freeman, LCMHC, LCAS-A
- Mental Health in LGTBIQ Communities – Facilitated by Terri Phoenix, PhD
- Mental Health and People with Disabilities – Facilitated by Simon Bloor, MAEd, PGDip, PGCert
Heels Care Mental Health Seminar Series
It's Ok to Pause
It’s Ok to Pause - Facilitated by Crystal Schiller, PhD
The research behind and practice of mindful pauses
Tuesday, October 11th, noon – 1:30 pm
Understanding Emotions and How to Talk About Them
Understanding Emotions and How to Talk About Them - Facilitated by Rachel Rifkin, LCSW
The science of feelings and strategies to explore and communicate about them.
Wednesday, November 16th, noon – 1:30 pm